Sunday, January 10, 2010

My head's still spinning...

HERE BE SPOILERS. IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SEEN THE DOLLHOUSE EPISODE "GETTING CLOSER," READ NO FURTHER. NO, REALLY. YOU DON'T WANT TO KEEP READING. JUST TRUST ME ON THIS.

I don't know how to feel about the Dollhouse writers right now: angry, betrayed, or just really, really impressed.

I mean really, I EXPECT Dollhouse to be full to the brim of plot twists. Of all the shows I've watched (except maybe for Lost), Dollhouse is the very best at being able to send my mind spinning and my jaw dropping week after week. It started with the "Alan Tudyk is ALPHA?!?" revelation, then the "Whoa, Dr. Saunders is a DOLL?!?" and it just kept going from there. And even though I know the twists are probably coming, I'm still thrown for a loop.

But this one? Oh, it takes the cake. Big time.

Boyd. I thought I knew him. I liked him - hell, I TRUSTED him! Even though we knew very little about him, he had that protector/father-figure vibe that just made you believe in him. To reference another Whedon show, he was the Giles to Echo's Buffy.

And now? It's like finding out that Giles was the Big Bad all along.

I feel like the character died, and in a way, he did: Boyd, as we knew him, is gone, and the evil, mysterious Rossum head is in his place. And like any good fan faced with a character death, I'm scrambling to find ways in which he's not really dead - or rather, not really evil and slimy.

Just go with me for a second: If there's something we learned about the Dollhouse verse, it's that memories can be changed and manipulated. Perhaps the REAL head of Rossum changed Caroline's memories?

I know, I'm grasping at straws. I'll probably just have to accept the fact that one of my favorite characters never REALLY existed, and was just the Big Bad in disguise all along. And if that's the case, there are a LOT of questions. Here are just a couple:
  • What is "Boyd's" agenda in facilitating Echo's development into a real personality? More to the point, what is his endgame? Why is Caroline/Echo so important, and what does he think she'll be able to help him achieve?
  • Why has helped fight Rossum in the past? Just two episodes ago, he helped get Victor out of the Rossum hive mind soldier facility. And in this episode, he mowed down a bunch of Rossum agents in Adelle's office. Was it all just part of the deception?
Seriously, this show just keeps getting better and better. And I do believe that the sprint to the finish (only 2 episodes left!) is going to be EPIC television, friends. EPIC.

No comments: