Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Toys are Back in Town!


Today's Specials: Your choice of a slice of Pizza Planet pizza or a bowl of Cowboy Crunchies (the only cereal that's sugar frosted and dipped in chocolate!)

Pixar, I love you.

Really, it's enough that you continue to make movies that are beautiful not only on a technical level but also on a pure storytelling level. But you go further. You also allow me to relive some of the greatest films from my childhood.

On the big screen.

In 3D.

Toy Story 1 & 2
are awesome enough as they are. Awesome characters, great animation, the universal fear of having someone you love "outgrow" their love for you: it's all there. But three dimensions = even better.

Favorite 3D moment: The scene in which Woody knocks Buzz out the window. Scary enough in normal 2D, but even more impressive in 3D.

Geeky Bonuses:
  • The people at Pixar provided "Toy Story Trivia & Treats" for those of us who stayed in the theater during intermission. My advice: do whatever you need to do (bathroom, concession stand, whatever) during the credits for Toy Story, then come back to the theater for the trivia. No Toy Story fan would want to miss this. Not only do you get trivia (with the various characters commenting as it goes), but you also get fun, short little clips, like Woody and Jessie dancing and Woody trying to beat Lenny in a staring contest.
  • TOY STORY 3 TRAILER!!! I admit, I'm always a little wary when film franchises go for the third film. I mean, look at Shrek 3, Spider-Man 3, and Ice Age 3, and you'll see why. But I trust the people at Pixar, and the trailer looks REALLY good. Four words: "Return of Astro Nut." I'll post the trailer it when it comes up on YouTube.

UPDATE: I just found this little tidbit from an interview with Tim Allen:

What can we expect from 'Toy Story 3'?

They took forever to get the script right, and they did such a great, emotional, wonderful job. I can't tell you more because I respect where they're coming from. It's kind of a 'Sixth Sense.' The less you hear about it, the more you're going to be surprised. It's just like you expect it to be, but they really found a wonderful piece of business to make this thing run.

Now THAT'S what I want to hear!

No comments: