Wednesday, October 7, 2009

BUST or bust!

In Borders the other day, as I was doing my usual book nerd ritual of breathing in the new paper scent and drooling over the books, I stumbled upon a truly awesome magazine.

BUST, the magazine "for women with something to get off their chests," is a revelation. I never thought I'd find a magazine with all the fun of Seventeen magazine but more substance and a focus on women of all ages, not just teenagers. Then I read BUST.

The magazine is unashamedly feminist, and I love that. I hate the fact that "feminist" has become a dirty word. This magazine simply celebrates being a woman in a vast variety of ways, from an article about influential folk music legend Buffy Sainte-Marie to directions for making your own spice cabinet out of a vintage suitcase to a look at the history of lipstick. I especially loved the unusually insightful and honest interview with Ellen Page and Alia Shawkat.

I think every woman should check out this fun, awesome, inspiring magazine. It's brain food and brain candy at the same time. I can't wait for the next issue!

No comments: