Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Let the awards season begin!

The Golden Globes nominations came out recently and brought with them a few surprises and several squee-able moments. A few of the highlights:

  • I was a bit disappointed that Up wasn't nominated for Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical. Yes, it was nominated for Best Animated Feature, but I find that category somewhat limiting. Animation is a method, not a genre; animated films can be both comedies and dramas, and they should be allowed to compete in those categories.
  • Speaking of Best Animated Feature, I think the field is pretty good. Of course I'm rooting for Up, but it might get some heavy competition from the critically-acclaimed The Fantastic Mr. Fox, the new Disney classic The Princess and the Frog, and the beautifully animated Coraline. The only film I wouldn't call much of a threat is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which was visually wonderful but light on story.
  • Glee love! Glee was nominated not only for Best Television Series, Comedy or Musical, but also Best Actor (the AWESOME Matthew Morrison - I love him), Best Actress (the talented and pitch-perfect Lea Michele), and Best Supporting Actress (the hilarious and incredible Jane Lynch). I call this revenge of the Gleeks!
  • Meryl Streep was nominated TWICE for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical. The nods were for Julie and Julia and It's Complicated. I haven't seen It's Complicated, but I'd say Meryl is a shoe-in for her joyous and chameleon-like turn as Julia Child.
  • Stanley Tucci was nominated for his role as a serial killer in The Lovely Bones. I haven't seen the film yet, but I've read the book, and if anyone can make that character as creepy and complicated as he's supposed to be, it's the talented Mr. Tucci, whom I've loved ever since I saw him play Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream.
UPDATE: Can't believe I forgot this the first time:
  • Um, a question for the Golden Globes people: Where's the love for The Big Bang Theory? Seriously, the show is awesome, with great characters, great writing, and the beyond amazing Jim Parsons. Which brings me to the next question: why the **** didn't he get a nomination? What, he's good enough for the Emmys but not for you? Fail, Golden Globes people. Epic, epic fail.

No comments: