Thursday, July 31, 2008

Book Updates

News has been arriving lately pertaining to pending releases in two of my fandoms: Harry Potter and Twilight (I'm a new member of this second fandom, and not as fanatical about it as I am about HP, but I'm still excited). Here are the updates:

Twilight:

Breaking Dawn, the last book in the series (or at least the last book featuring Bella in the storytelling role) is coming out in less than two days. Stephenie Meyer was on Good Morning America today, and the only thing she revealed (which she also revealed in a Entertainment Weekly article) was that she DID write a Bella/Edward wedding in BD (big surprise). Other than that, all the teasers we have for the next day and a few hours are the BD quotes on www.stepheniemeyer.com.

Malinda and I are going to a midnight release party at Barnes and Noble. Costumes, of course, are involved: Malinda will go as Bella and I will be dressed as Victoria (yes, I decided to go over to the Dark Side this time).

Yes, we're big nerds. SO SUE US.


Harry Potter:

Today is the birthday of both J.K. (Jo) Rowling and her brainchild, Harry Potter. In honor of this (I assume), Jo announced that The Tales of Beedle the Bard will be released to the public in December, and all the proceeds will go to charity. The book will include the tales (translated from the original runes by Hermione) and notes from the private collection of Albus Dumbledore. Clearly, this is awesome. Short of the promised encyclopedia (or Scottish Book, as it is now referred to), this is the best gift we in the Potter fandom could hope for.

Other news: The teaser trailer for HBP FINALLY came out. I think its incredible. Not only did it give us our first glimpses of little Tom Riddle, but it also made a point of showing how the thoughts of little Tom influence grown-up Voldemort: "I can hurt people who are mean to me," as we see Dumbledore battling in the center of the ring of fire (!). I can tell they've changed some things, but already I can sense that the important things - the theme, the coherent thread of the story - were left intact. That's why I love Yates as a director: I just get the feeling that he GETS it, you know? He understands that the important part of the story isn't always the magic. More often, the important part is the underlying emotion.

No comments: