Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fall TV mish-mash

All right, just a few notes on some of the TV shows that I'm either A) looking forward to, or B) mildly curious about this fall:

  • The Jay Leno Show: After all the hype, I just had to tune in and see if all the fuss was worth it. And the verdict is: I'm not sure. Really, I think it's pretty much just the Tonight Show at a different time. Not to say that that's a bad thing: I like Jay Leno, particularly when he does Headlines like he did last night. But I'm still hoping there will be something new and exciting coming up.
  • The Big Bang Theory: Ah, the show for the geek in all of us! What with the great writing, awesome characters (particularly Leonard and Sheldon) and lots of great Star Trek references, my inner geek rejoices every time I watch this show. And this fall, I'm especially looking forward to the Leonard/Penny reunion. Might they finally get together this time? Also, I'm totally rooting for Jim Parsons (Sheldon) at this year's Primetime Emmys - he's up for Best Actor in a Comedy!
  • V: So, I don't know much about this show. In fact, I only know two things: it's a remake of an old show, and two Firefly actors - Alan Tudyk (Wash) and Morena Baccarin (Inara) - are in the cast. That last point might be enough to get me to tune in.
  • Dollhouse: All hail the great Joss Whedon! I admit, it took me a while to warm up to this show, but now I see all the hallmarks of Whedon awesomeness: smart, funny writing; awesome, diverse characters; and twists that you NEVER see coming. Plus, another chance to see Alan Tudyk (!), albeit in a VERY different sort of role.
  • Lost: OK, I admit: I kind of stopped watching this show in the middle of last season (I got busy with school or something), so I'll have to catch up before the season starts. Still, I think this is the craziest, most mind-boggling (in a good way) show on TV.
So, that's about it. What about the rest of you? Any new shows you're interested in? Any old shows you can't wait for? Let me know!

UPDATE: I'm also looking forward to Glee. As a former theatre kid, I know what it's like to be one of the high school losers who love to perform onstage. I saw the premiere last fall, and I loved it! The show is funny and quirky, but it also goes for the deeper things, like the very emotional reasons that the kids feel the need to perform. As I said, I've been there, and I know that everyone has a reason.

No comments: