Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Actually, being green ain't that bad...

Today's Special: Weed rat - rotisserie style (also try some weed rat stew)

In my perfect world, theatre (as in professional stage productions) would be just as popular as movies and TV, and everyone would know (and care) that the Tony nominations were announced yesterday.

Of course, this isn't my perfect world... which is why chocolate is still fattening, Star Trek is still considered geeky, and pale is still not considered cool (no matter how hard Twilight tries to make it so).

So I'm the only one among my circle of friends who is really, really excited about the Tonys. Usually, even I don't care much about these particular awards, but this year I actually know one of the shows that is up for awards: Shrek the Musical.

Now, I haven't actually seen the show. I'm still kicking myself for not attending one of the performances here in Seattle, especially since I could have seen the awesome Brian d'Arcy James (Shrek) and Sutton Foster (Princess Fiona). But I have listened to the soundtrack MANY times, and I am in love with the music (not to mention Brian's voice... *sigh*), so I'll be rooting for Shrek the Musical when the Tony's are awarded on June 7th.

Among the eight nominations that the show earned are nominations for Best Musical (!), Best Actor in a Leading Role (Brian), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Sutton), and Best Actor in a Featured Role (Christopher Sieber - Lord Farquaad).

By the way, here's an interesting bit of trivia. Apparently, the committee that nominates people/shows for Tonys seems to like green-skinned characters. In the past several years actors playing three different greenified characters - Elphaba from Wicked, Frankenstein's Monster from Young Frankenstein, and now Shrek - have been nominated for Tony awards. Actually, make that FOUR greenified characters, since Princess Fiona is an ogre too... at least part time. So yeah, being green ain't that bad- on Broadway, at least.

In celebration of all the nominations, here are a few of my favorite songs from Shrek the Musical.

First, here's "Who I'd Be." This song was the first one I heard from this musical, and that was all it took to set off the obsession.



And here's "I Know it's Today," one of Fiona's songs:



And finally, "More to the Story," a Fiona song that was, unfortunately, cut from the show. I don't know why... it's actually one of my favorite songs from this musical.

No comments: