Saturday, August 9, 2008

Let the Games Begin!


The 2008 Beijing Olympics have begun at last, and if the 8/8/08 opening date has anything to do with it, these Games should be lucky indeed.

The Opening Ceremonies, at least, were absolutely awe-inspiring. I've wracked my brains for adjectives great enough to describe beauty and wonder of the ceremony, but everything I think of seems small and unworthy when compared with the event I'm trying to describe. I'll just list some of the many amazing things witnessed during the Opening Ceremonies (I can't list EVERYTHING, or this post would be PAGES long):
  • First of all, the Bird's Nest Stadium itself. The place is completely original and absolutely beautiful in its deceptive simplicity. And it's HUGE too!
  • 2008 drummers (that's right, 2008) all drumming in perfect rhythm.


  • The giant scroll on the floor that opened up into the world's largest LED screen
    • The dancers who became human calligraphy brushes
  • The Tai Chi performers (2008 of them, again) who formed a giant, filled-in circle around a group of schoolchildren. As one announcer noted, try getting ten friends together and having them to stand in a circle. It's not easy.
  • The Parade of Nations, especially:
    • Lopez Lamar, the United States flag-bearer, who survived genocide as one of the Lost Boys of Sudan and went on to become an Olympic athlete.
    • Yao Ming carrying the Chinese flag alongside a nine-year-old survivor of the Sezchuan earthquake survivor who went back into the rubble of his schoolhouse to save two of his friends.

  • The Torch Lighting - oh my word. It was incredible. Li Ning, a former gymnast who is still one of China's most famous athletes, was literally lifted into the air and carried around the top of the Bird's Nest by wires as he "sprinted" past images of the Torch Relay that were projected behind him. Then, the giant cauldron (see picture at top) appeared out of the side of the Bird's Nest and was lit by Li. AWESOME.
All I can say is, if the Opening Ceremonies are this amazing, I can't wait for the rest of the games. I am, of course, going to be watching as much Michael Phelps action as I can, but I'm one of those crazies who will watch EVERYTHING in the Olympics. Its the only time that I find myself cheering on athletes in sports like wrestling, badminton, beach volleyball, and rowing (to name a few). I've already watched Michael Phelps dominate in the Men's 400 m, seen Australia's Stephanie Rice hold on to win the Women's 400, cheered on Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh as they beat the Japanese team in an early beach volleyball match, and applauded as Team USA put on a strong show in the early days of the Men's Gymnastics competition.

I am SO excited for this!

No comments: