Monday, June 23, 2008

The Austen Endeavor: Persuasion

Today's Special: A very British cup of tea and a sweet biscuit (go on, have some - Jane would)

In my quest to read all of Jane Austen's six major novels, I have now finished three: Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and now Persuasion. Perhaps it's because this is the only Austen book about which I knew nothing before reading, but I think this is my favorite Jane Austen book that I've read so far. Here's why:
  • Anne Elliot. She is a very admirable character who is also easy to relate to. She's not a rebel, but she is strong - she is the rock and the voice of reason when everyone else is panicked or carried away with emotions. I also like the fact that Anne, the one who is persuaded to give all her life, is finally able to have her own happiness.
  • Captain Frederick Wentworth. He's another dreamy leading male in the tradition of Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley. Wentworth is just the sort of strong, honorable, passionate, and constant man that women all over the world dream of finding.
  • The love story. Every moment between Anne and Frederick, no matter how small, seemed to be charged with electricity. One complaint: As a reader, I would have liked a little more of a payoff when the two characters finally got together - a kiss would have been nice after all the characters went through.
  • Thought-provoking themes, including:
    • Manners vs. honesty
    • Class vs. individual strengths/accomplishments
    • The importance of self-determination (and the difference between steadiness of principle and obstinacy of self-will).
    • The strengths and weaknesses (mainly the weaknesses) of the class system.
Just three more novels to read: Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, and Northanger Abbey. I'll probably read S&S next, since I already own it.

No comments: